We arrived at the center when they opened at 6am. We had to fill out paperwork, pay (and it wasn't cheap!) then do a lot more waiting. The nurse came by to check on him as well as the anesthesiologist (who looked about 10, which also did not give me much comfort. When she told me her nine month old still got up every 3 hours to eat, I thought, "you are a doctor, you should know better...and I'm letting you knock my kid out and expect him to wake up when he's supposed to?! Am I nuts?!?!") We still went through with it, so I suppose I am a little nuts.
The actual surgery only took an hour, which they began at 7am. We were allowed to see him shortly after 8. While he was a little groggy and fussy, I think he was very happy to see us. As soon as I began to hold him, he drifted off to sleep. I know he was starving too but they won't let the kids have food until they make sure they will take juice and are able to take the IV out. We were there till close to 9am and then were able to go home. Mike went on to work while I spent the day with Ian. He was a champ and actually slept most of the day. When he was awake, he was in good spirits, and acted as if nothing happened.
Ian had the stitches taken out this last Tuesday and it took 2 of us to hold him down while the doctor got them out. I think he was mostly pissed to be held down (although I am pretty sure it didn't feel good either) but as soon as it was over, he was back to his old self. They put some purple glue where the stitches were and told us it would eventually flake off and in the meantime, there wasn't anything we needed to do. Where they removed the tags, looks pretty good and I think at some point you'll never know anything was there. I'm still wondering how the inner piece will look - still a bit bloody but the doctor feels like things are looking great.
Here is a before and after shot.
Sorry, a little fuzzy, but I think you get the idea. The purple blotch is the glue. I know we'll be very happy with the results in the long run, as will little Ian!
I'll keep you posted on his progress!
Love to all,
The Reichert clan



No comments:
Post a Comment