Monday, May 26, 2008

Just Being A Mom

So, this week started out like any other week. It was a busy one for both Mike and I. Not one where either of us could afford to miss work. Mike has a major website launch coming up Tuesday so it's all hands on deck and I had offsite training for two days. My summer Fridays began last Friday as well so I needed to fit as much work in as I possibly could before heading into the weekend.



As most of you know, I'm a planner - I like to have things figured out well in advance. Of course, you can't ever plan for the unexpected. And it always seems to come when you least expect it or can deal with it. Wed. morning, as I am getting ready for my offsite training, I go to get Noah ready for daycare and when I picked him up, he was extremely hot. I thought it just might be his night clothes but after feeding him we decided to take his temperature. Sure enough, he had a fever. That meant no sitter! Since I had mandatory offisite training, Mike had to be the one to stay home. Noah was not a good patient. He cried most of the day and after his fever got worse, Mike took him to the doctor only to find out he had a viral infection. I was feeling very guilty being at work and not with my little one. My boss was very understanding and apparently the afternoon and next day were more full of activities/team bonding than "training"so I was approved to head home and take care of my baby. Mike was thrilled so he could get back to work. The fun was just beginning for me.


Since Noah had a fever all day, he could not go to the sitter's on Thurs. (he has to be 24 hour fever-free). As Wed. progressed, I began not feeling well. I thought it was just allergies, but by Thurs. I was feeling pretty bad myself. I got my first taste of dealing with sickness when I couldn't afford to be sick and had to focus on Noah. It was tough but by Friday, Noah seemed to be feeling better and I was doing ok. I missed work again, not only because Noah still couldn't go to the sitter, but also because I was still feeling pretty bad. By Saturday, we both seemed to be more ourselves.





We broke out a new "toy" for Noah and while he's still a little small for it, he does seem to enjoy it thus far. There's a lot going on for him to look at. Colors amaze him.




Unfortunately, if it's not one thing it's another. Noah refuses to take naps in his bed at home (he only likes to sleep on people - namely mom or dad, but's he's not overly choosy). He seems to do fine at the sitter's but just has too much fun with mommy and daddy at home so he will not lay down. After reading about what to do in one of the self-help books I borrowed, we have to give "tough love" and let Noah cry it out for at least an hour during nap times and then he should go to bed extra early to try to make up for the "lost sleep." We began trying this method on Saturday and so far, he has cried the full hour each time and is not getting in the naps he should. I felt blessed that at least he was going to bed at night without fussing. I spoke too soon though because Sunday night he cried for 45 minutes before drifting off. For all of you moms, you know it is the toughest thing to hear your baby cry! As my sister pointed out though, he's not hurt, just mad so there really wasn't anything I could do anyway. From what I understand, it can take 5 days to get them on a schedule and since he's at the sitter's most of this week, the next few weeks are going to try our patience I'm sure.





The best part of the weekend is when Mike and I took Noah to the pool for the first time! Even though he was tired (from the lack of naps!) he really seemed to enjoy the water. I'm looking forward to taking him to the pool on my Summer Fridays!



Shout out to Grandpa Blick for the RAD swim shorts! :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment