Ian recently had is 2 month check up and I'm happy to report he is not starving! He weighed in at 15.2 lbs (97%!!); his height is 23.5" which is in the 75-90% and his head measured in the 75-90% as well. We have a nice, big baby!!
We have a feeling though, that he may end up being our "expensive" child. I spoke to the doctor about the fact that Ian always seems unhappy and fussy. After asking a few questions, she determined he had reflux, along with the gas issues. We were to try a new formula that should be gentler on his stomach and if that didn't work, we had a prescription for Prevacid (which Noah also had). The last option if all else fails is to switch to soy, which I wasn't thrilled about as that causes constipation. So, more on the progress of this in a minute.
Ian also has a bad bout of cradle cap (basically baby dandruff) so I have to scrub his head twice a week with Selsen Blue and a toothbrush. It does seem to be working so I imagine in a few weeks it will be gone.
Finally, his protruding belly button was confirmed to be an umbilical hernia. There's nothing to do now but wait to see if it goes back in by the time he's two. If not, it will require surgery to fix. I guess the good news is we already have a surgeon since she'll be taking his skin tags off his ear in a few months.
So, as I mentioned, the reflux. We did switch the formula over the weekend while we were visiting Wichita. Big mistake - the formula made him worse. Screaming for hours on end. Luckily I went ahead and got the Prevacid before we left town so we did start him on that. Once we got back to town, we went back to the old formula, just with the Prevacid. It seems to be working. The colic seems to have disappeared in the evenings as well, so maybe it was mostly reflux that was causing his unhappiness. We're just trying to take things one day at a time.
I have officially gone back to work - well, working from home this week, so trying to split my time between Ian and work. (I wonder if God gave me difficult children so I not only don't feel bad about taking them to daycare, but I'm practically running back to my office so someone else can deal with the crying.)
Our new office is opening in waves this week. The childcare center opened Monday. I was able to take Noah in and I was pretty impressed! Noah loved the new center and was very happy to be back with his friends and teachers. My department will be moving on Friday and I'll be back at work next Tuesday. The best part is that it only took 15 minutes to get to the building from our house. Yay! Looking forward to the short commute, especially with two little ones to get home and fed.
We are making progress on the sleeping as well. Ian usually only gets up once during the night for feeding so we typically go in after 6 hours. It's been nice to get the sleep. I'm not sure how it's going to work when I go back to work, but we'll figure it out. We also moved Ian to his room Sunday night, I'm making the trek up the stairs a few times (I'm not complaining, it's about the only exercise I'm getting right now!).
I have an update on Noah and the transition from the "terrible 2's" to the "trying 3s." but that will have to wait for another post. All I can say is, both suck.
PS.
Noah is doing fantastic with the potty training! We have a few accidents here and there, but otherwise, doing great!
Cheers,
Corri & Mike
Hang in there, I feel your pain! I remember those days. I, too, was running "away" to work! Good luck with the transition back to work, I hope it all goes smoothly! love ya - D'ette
ReplyDelete